A boy???
Friday, March 16, 2012 is a day I will never forget. I arrived at work and was checking my email when I saw a message from my adoption agency. My heart always skips a beat when I hear from them, especially when the subject is "question for you". Thailand was completing paperwork for a little boy in Chiang Mai, northern Thailand, and they wondered if I was interested in adopting him. He's between 1-2 years old. They knew I was requesting a girl, and I could continue waiting for a girl, but they wanted to let me know about this little boy.
I think I knew immediately that this was my son. I had really agonized over whether or not to request a girl initially. I really wanted Caia to have a sister, and I figured that if I had a choice then I would specify a girl. But I told people that I did see a boy in my future, especially if I adopted a third time. I'd been reading about Chiang Mai and hoped that my child would be from there. So when I opened that email I felt that this would be my son.
I did take some time to make a decision about whether to pursue this little boy. For starters Caia had spent 3 years thinking she was getting a little sister. When I first told her that Thailand had a little boy for us she cried and asked, "but when can we go meet my little sister?" It broke my heart. I also needed a little time to let go of my Thai daughter. It sounds crazy but she had become a person, and I had an idealized image of 2 little girls (and sisters) in my heart.
It hasn't taken us long to swing around to the idea of a little boy. Picking out cute boy clothes, thinking of a boy's name--Caia was on board pretty fast. Caia calls him "Brother Boy", though I think she means "Baby Brother". It's so cute to hear her say, "Do you think Brother Boy will like this shirt?" Truth be told I'll be thrilled to have a virtual baby again. I knew that Thailand was a toddler adoption program, and I had requested a child under the age of 4, with the idea that she would probably be close to 4. So the idea of having a baby again is exciting.
On the map above you'll see Chiang Mai, in northern Thailand. Caia was born in Jiangxi, China, near the capitol city of Nanchang. Chiang Mai and Nanchang are quite close together. That will come in very handy for future visits.
We're hoping to see the referral (more information and his photo) in the next couple months. Thailand needs to complete his paperwork in Chiang Mai, then it gets sent to the adoption board in Bangkok. There are two monthly board meetings, and they'll formally match me to this little boy at one of those meetings. Then I'll be able to see his picture! After that I should travel in a month or two, so I could be in Thailand in 4-6 months. I can't wait!!
As a result of this development I've now changed the name of this blog from Thai Sister to Thai Brother. You never know where life will lead!!
Posted by
Shea
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







2 comments:
Yay, a boy! We're so incredibly excited and happy for you! A mom to a son...who saw that one coming??!! We hope your wait goes quickly and you have a photo to share soon. We can't wait to meet the little man and see Caia with her brother boy.
Lots of love,
Rae, Girard and Bryn
So excited for you and caia. I was just going to send you an email and saw this headline. Can't believe it. Woo Hoo!!!!!!!! Boys are awesome too!
Hope you all have a Happy Easter. Keep us posted on your news.
Post a Comment